Pages

Wednesday 28 August 2013

My First Blog!

Hi, my name is Stacey and I have just completed my first year in Media and Communications at the University of Greenwich. When I go back in September I will be studying Film Studies. This blog is all about my Film Studies course and what I get up to whilst I’m at university this year. In this first post I’m just going to go over a few things about me, my course and why I decided to change my course.

First of all, a little bit about me. I grew up in South East London and have always wanted to go to Greenwich as it was my local university (and it was extremely pretty!!) I had always had an interest in Media so I decided to go for Media and Communications. I later realised that I hadn't in fact researched well in what I wanted to do. It’s not that I didn't enjoy Media and Communications because I did but I just felt like Film Studies was more for me.

I live not far from the university so that’s why I decided to stay at home, saving me a lot of money! It took me just over an hour to travel to and from university but I didn't mind it because I was enjoying university so much. I still went out with friends after lectures to the local Wetherspoons or had a walk around Greenwich Market or Greenwich Park (when it wasn't raining), so I didn't feel like I was missing out on the social side of university. We would all meet up and go for a meal or a few drinks and have a laugh with each other and I still had friends outside of university so I would go out in the evening with them.

So, back to the course... Media and Communications. I studied Issues in Representation and Digital Arts Exchange as my two main modules and chose Writing for the Media and Reel to Virtual as my two other modules. Reel to Virtual was what made me realise I wanted to change to Film Studies; I just love every aspect about film that it just made sense to change to it. 

It felt a bit weird at first going back into learning; I was a year older as well because I had stayed on an extra year at Sixth Form so I was a bit nervous about starting. But I found that university is for all ages and now two of my closest friends are both older than me. I realised that I had nothing to worry about about starting, because at the end of the day, everyone is in the same boat as you. Everyone is starting new and are probably just as nervous (perhaps some people even more so than you!). I got on really well with all my lecturers and found them all really friendly and helpful; they’re much more relaxed than my sixth form teachers. I found the lectures really interesting as well so I was rarely bored. 

One thing I wish I did in my first year was getting involved with societies and meeting more people at Sparrows (which is the Avery Hill SU nightclub). This year, I’m going to make it different, I’m going to join the Cheerleading Team and the Rock Climbing society. If it’s one thing I recommend, it’s going to join societies. I know so many people now who meet so many new people by joining societies and sports teams and it made me regret my decisions in the first year a bit.

I literally cannot wait to go back in September, go to my first Fresher’s Fortnight (I might see anyone who reads this blog!), join the Cheer team and Rock Climbing and meet loads of new people. For new students who are starting their first year in September: Don’t be nervous; remember everyone goes through the exact same thing as you. Everyone’s in the same position, everyone’s friendly. Just be yourself and you’ll be sure to meet a friend who you’ll become really close to throughout the year J


Hope you enjoyed this post and I look forward to writing more blog posts in the future J

No comments:

Post a Comment