Pages

Thursday 12 December 2013

CHEERLEADING

Cheerleading for some reason, was something I always wanted to do. Whenever you see them in the movies they look amazing and it looks like so much fun. So, this year I decided to pluck up the courage and finally join after a year of debating!

Now, cheerleading is not as easy as it looks. You have to put hard work in regardless of what you’re doing. There are competitions and everyone wants to do well! However, having said that.. I absolutely love it. I was a bit iffy at first because I can’t do any tumbling (cartwheels, handstands etc) but after being reassured by the head coach that it wasn’t all about that, I quickly put my name down.


The first taster session was so much fun, learning all about the cheerleading jumps and how to do stunts (I’m base which means another person and I lift up the flyer). I’m enjoying it so much and our first competition is on December 8th. Unfortunately, us newbies aren’t in this one as there is still so much to learn, but I can’t wait to go and watch the returners do their thang! They’re so good, they will definitely (touch wood) bring home a trophy!!

At the last training session, we got together in our newly formed stunt groups and started learning new stunts to perform. I have some amazing people in my stunt group, they’re all so lovely! That was another thing I was nervous about starting cheerleading, meeting all the new people (there are over 50 of us!!). However, they are all such amazing, lovely people. They are the nicest girls you can think of. I’m gutted I didn’t join a year ago!


I would definitely recommend joining the cheerleading group (hello, why would you not want to own pom-poms!?), you get your uniform (which I cannot wait for, I have just been measured!) and matching jackets with your names on and you get to cheer on the American Football team at games (which is a perfect opportunity to get to know everyone!). Besides that there are loads of socials which is again the perfect opportunity to get to know everyone. Cheerleading isn’t all girls either, our team is slowly getting new guys to join the team (which is good because they’re stronger bases!)


So if you’re starting uni at Greenwich in September then definitely come along and join! You won’t regret it!




No comments:

Post a Comment